Thursday, March 27, 2008

Neuropsychology Abstract of the Day: Frontotemporal Dementia

Wittenberg D, Possin KL, Rascovsky K, Rankin KP, Miller BL, & Kramer JH. The Early Neuropsychological and Behavioral Characteristics of Frontotemporal Dementia. Neuropsychological Review. 2008 Feb 29 [Epub ahead of print]

Memory and Aging Center, University of California—San Francisco Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA.

Frontotemporal lobar degeneration (FTLD) represent a constellation of disorders that may be overlooked or misdiagnosed, despite being fairly common presenile neurodegenerative diseases. Although the cognitive disorder can be difficult to document, particularly early in the dementia course, neuropsychological evaluation can assist in the diagnosis. Neuropsychologists are in an excellent position to draw from related disciplines like personality theory and social psychology to better assess the types of changes that characterize the prodromal and early phases of the disease. This review summarizes the current state of the field in the diagnosis of FTLD and discusses the emerging role of neuropsychology in elucidating the brain organization of complex processes including empathy, behavioral control and inhibition, reward systems, appetitive behaviors, emotional regulation, and goal-orientation. As this review underscores, frontotemporal dementia remains a powerful model for studying brain-behavior relationships.

PMID: 18311522 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger tbratton said...

rwhtthMy brother and sister were misdiagnosed with a form of FTD. Both were given drugs for ALZHIEMER’S and given the wrong medications. Thanks to some fabulous doctors; Neurology Department at Vanderbilt University, Howard Kirshner, M.D, and Paul Schulz MD, Baylor College of Medicine, Neurology, Houston, we were able to diagnose my sister before her death.

I originally put together a chart comparing my brother (mike) and sister (pat)…identifying behaviors etc since their 20’s and 30’s. It was all so obvious to me once I did this, what was going on with them after reading one of Dr. Kirshner’s articles online. I sent him my chart and asked for his guidance and he took the time to put me in touch with doctors in Houston. He also told me I was on the right track, I wasn’t crazy…like so many before him had done.

My mother and I have been working for the last several years to educate doctors and nurses about FTD. Seems very few medical professionals are knowledgeable about FTD. It was great to run across your blog….if there is any information I can share, I would be happy to do it.

Terri

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home